Monday, March 28, 2005

Call the Waaah-mbulance

It seems that some folks have proclaimed writer, raconteur, and grouch extrordinaire Kim Du Toit as the worst blogger. It's the kind of thing you just shake your head at, I guess. Folks were pretty incensed at two essays of Kim's in particular, "Let Africa Sink" (hello, he lived much of his life there, I think that entitles him to a valid opinion on the matter) and my favorite essay of his, "The Pussification of the Western Male." At the time this essay was written, I had myself begun to notice what a man-hating culture we have become in the U.S., and how much it disgusted me. Over time, I noticed that the "in" thing to do when among other women was to bitch ceaselessly about our husbands, rather than praising them for their good qualities. After a while I began to reject this foolish notion, mainly because I noticed that many of these women seemed to be picky, overly sensitive shrews who cared not one bit for nurturing their relationships and cared a whole hell of a lot about "what has he done for me lately?" Ugh. Then "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy" came along, and I just couldn't stand it. The culture seemed to be driving us women to re-make our man, to mold them into our image, to turn them all into metrosexuals -- gah! For years we've been told that we can do everything a man can do, that we are alike in all ways except for anatomy. To which I say, bullshit. Celebrate your differences. I like the fact that my husband handles much of the car related stuff, mows the lawn, hunts and fishes for food for our table, and likes to get dirty doing all manner of household maintenance I'd rather not do. Likewise, he is happy to leave the decorating, meal planning, and holiday details to me. I'm happy that he is big and broad-shouldered, he's happy that I'm petite and slim-waisted. I like laughing at his various bodily noises that all men seem to be so proud of, but I'm not about to engage in a competition (in front of people).

Then there's my two boys, who were pointing their fingers at each other and playing "cops and robbers" before we even had guns in the house. They've always been rough and tumble, very active, head first through life kinds of kids. I think they are just wonderful, and though they are very busy throughout the day with the various trains to build, pictures to color, games to play etc., I wouldn't change it for the world. And the day any teacher suggests they are hyper is the day I will tell that person to get another job. Sometimes, boys just will be boys.

So Kim, on behalf of women who appreciate a good man, who are very glad that males and females are so different, and who are sick and tired of this culture of pussification, thank you. If you are the worst blogger out there, I have no desire to see what your self-proclaimed "betters" have to say.