Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Passing the torch



I found this image of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger clasping hands with Pope John Paul II, and I thought it fitting to highlight his recent election as Pope Benedict XVI. Much is being made of his name selection, with speculation that he will be a champion of peace and ecumenism, things his history as Cardinal do not necessarily point to. I'm not speaking from a position of knowledge here, I'm just summing up what I've read over the last few hours of yesterday and today.

I'm still a little heartbroken about the death of John Paul II. Part of it is nationalistic pride, as my family is Polish and we were all overjoyed to have one of "us" as Pontiff. But the larger part of it is that he was such a beautiful soul. He truly loved every human being, and chose to see the good -- no, he chose to see God in every person he came in contact with. He was full of joy and life, and when his illness overtook him in his final years, he bore his suffering with a grace and dignity I can only hope to strive for in my life, and which makes my wonking about things like trying to keep the house clean oh-so-trivial by comparison.

Anyway, here are some quotes from our new Pope Benedict XVI from the last few years on a variety of topics.

And when I did a search for information using his new name, this link about Papal prophecy came up as number one. I'm making no judgements about this information, but I present it here for some interesting reading about what some in the Catholic church are thinking.

Here is a discussion forum about our new Pope and what it means for the future.

The Jerusalem Post also has a lengthy article on the new Pontiff.

No matter what your faith is, the new Pope has an enormous amount of responsibility, and he is deserving of our prayers in this time of transition.